Find out more about your local history!
1 May 2013 11:59:10
Research your local community
The aim of ‘Local and Community History Month’ is to increase the awareness of local history and promote history in general to the local community.
Activities happen across the UK and include trips, library exhibitions and local lectures. It’s a great way for groups to highlight local history and for local people to get involved.
For more information, visit www.history.org.uk.
Here are some of the interesting facts we’ve found out about the town of Street where Cosyfeet is based:
- • Street was once a huddle of huts on the edge of the Poldens and was called Lega.
- • For centuries it remained a hamlet, dependent on agriculture and quarrying.
- • In the 12th century, a causeway from nearby Glastonbury was built to transport stone from Street for rebuilding Glastonbury Abbey after a fire.
- • In 1825, a local farmer and devout Quaker called Cyrus Clark set up a sheepskin and shoe-making business. Street became internationally-known as the home of Clarks.
- • Fossils discovered in Street include an icthyosaur which was discovered in 1835 and is now displayed in the Natural History Museum in London.
- • Laurence Housman an English playwright, writer and illustrator, lived in Street for 35 years before his death in 1959
Clarks headquarters in Street
If you find out anything interesting about your own local history we’d love to hear about it!
Posted in News
By Andy Speed |