Top tips for better health
30 Jul 2014 11:42:14
Ten simple things to help you stay healthy:
- 1. Make sure you drink enough. Experts recommend that we drink the equivalent of 8 medium-size glasses of water a day. Contrary to some advice tea, coffee and soft drinks count but make sure you’re aware of hidden sugars.
- 2. Eat regularly. This helps keep energy levels at a constant and can even help prevent you from gaining weight.
- 3. Don’t forget to floss! Removing pieces of food and plaque from between your teeth can help prevent gum disease.
- 4. Get moving. You should aim for at least 2-3 hours of exercise a week. Swimming, Yoga, Pilates and walking are particularly beneficial as they build muscle and bone density which is important as you get older.
- 5. Keep your mind active. Activities such as reading, writing, crosswords and Sudoku can all help delay memory loss.
- 6. Don’t forget your feet. Without comfortable feet, it’s difficult to lead an active life. Make sure you buy footwear that fits properly and gives you enough stability and shock-absorption.
- 7. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamin D. This is critical for bone health. Rather than just relying on the sun, try taking a supplement.
- 8. Have regular check-ups. Try and have your eyes tested at least every two years to allow ophthalmologists to diagnose and treat conditions early.
- 9. Get involved. Research shows that having a hobby you can share with others is good for your happiness levels which in turn is good for your overall health.
- 10. Sleep well. Don’t underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. If you have trouble sleeping, try establishing a bedtime routine such as a warm bath followed by a milky drink.
Posted in News
By Andrew Speed |