An unusual case for the PDSA


It might be known as ‘Scotland’s other national drink’ but it seems even local pets can take a fancy to the fizzy drink.

Miniature Dachshund Darcey managed to get her paws on an empty can during a family gathering at her owner Janette Gallacher’s home in the city. But the party lost its sparkle after the can became lodged in her mouth, and the poor pup started to bleed.

Janette Gallacher, (69), said that after attempts to gently remove the can from Darcey’s tiny mouth failed, they rushed her to PDSA’s Glasgow Shamrock Street PetAid hospital for help.

PDSA vet Susie Hermit said it was one of the most unusual cases vets at the site have ever come across:

“We see all sorts of cases here at PDSA but I’ve never seen a dog with its jaw stuck in a can before!” She said.

“We could see that Darcey was bleeding and was in lots of distress. The can was so firmly wedged that we had to sedate her in order to remove it to prevent any further damage and make sure that Darcey wasn’t too uncomfortable when we took the can off her jaw. She was very lucky that no permanent damage was done, as the inside of the can was very sharp and it could have caused substantial damage to the lining of her mouth and her tongue.”

Janette said she was extremely grateful for the care her beloved dog received from PDSA vets and said Darcey had now gone on to make a full recovery.

She said: “Darcey is back to her usual cheerful self now. When I told friends about it they couldn’t believe it. It was very worrying at the time.

“We’re very careful when we bring out the Irn Bru now.”

Darcey with her owner Janette Gallacher and PDSA vet Susie Hermit