You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
Bike Week 2020
8 Jun 2020 09:10:51
Embrace the benefits of cycling during Bike Week
Bike Week (6th – 14th June), delivered by Cycling UK, is a celebration of cycling. Thousands of people all over the UK enjoy the simple pleasure of riding a bike.
Cycling is a great way to keep fit and active and boost your immunity and mental well-being. It’s also easy to fit into your daily routine by riding to the shops, park or work.
What are the health benefits of cycling?
Cycling is mainly an aerobic activity, which means that your heart, blood vessels and lungs all get a workout, which in turn will improve your overall fitness level.
- It’s low impact so it causes less strain and injuries than many other forms of exercise.
- It can strengthen your bones and decrease your body fat levels.
- Pedalling uses lots of the major muscle groups so it’s a great workout.
- It’s easy and doesn’t require high levels of physical skill. Once you learn how to ride a bike, you don’t forget.
- It increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
- You can build up the intensity according to your fitness levels.
- It’s a fun way to get fit and the enjoyment you get from being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly.
- It doesn’t require any fancy equipment. Just put on your wide fit shoes and some comfy clothing and you’re good to go.
- As with any exercise, it can help decrease anxiety and depression and improve your mental well-being.
- If you’re new to cycling, practise in a safe environment
- Wear a helmet
- Be seen and heard
- Check your bike
- Always follow the Highway Code
Cycling UK have produced some advice on cycling during the coronavirus outbreak. Click here to find out how you can minimise the risk to yourself and others.