You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
Stir up some fun in the kitchen!
28 Apr 2016 12:07:30
Cooking is a great way to bond with your child or grandchild. As well as giving you an opportunity to spend time with them, it’s also a fun way to teach then invaluable skills such as team-work, counting and measuring. It also gives you a chance to introduce them to new foods and tastes without putting pressure on them.
While it’s tempting to stick to sweet recipes such as biscuits and cakes, it can be just as fun making healthier options.
Some quick and easy recipes to try with children:
Carrot and orange soup
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1l vegetable stock (made with a stock cube)
- 1 orange (for zest and juice)
You will need
- Large pan
- 1. Fry the onion until soft
- 2. Add the litre of vegetable stock and carrots
- 3. Cook until soft
- 4. Add orange zest and juice, and then puree the lot
- 5. Add water or seasoning as needed
- 250g macaroni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml milk
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions and drain when cooked
- 2. Heat the butter (or margarine) and when melted, add a generous tablespoon of plain flour and mix it in
- 3. Add some black pepper and a little nutmeg or mustard powder - cook on a low heat, stirring all the time, for about 30-60 seconds
- 4. Add the milk a little at a time and mix well with a whisk - you should end up using about 450ml of milk
- 5. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time, to thicken the sauce, then add a big handful of grated cheddar cheese to make it a cheese sauce
- 6. Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir well
- 7. Serve straight away or put into an oven proof dish, grate some more cheese over and bake at 180'C/Gas mark 5 for 10 minutes
- Seasonal fruit – e.g. pineapple, kiwi, banana, peach, mango, melon, strawberries, grapes
You will need
- Kebab sticks
- 1. Thread the chunks of fruit onto wooden kebab sticks
- 2. That’s it!!!