You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
Top Tips for Keeping Cool
10 Jul 2017 09:00:00
How to beat the heat
As summer hots up, we’ve been looking at some simple but effective ways to help you keep your cool.
Top tips for keeping cool when it’s hot:
- Stay inside during the hottest time of the day (11am – 3pm).
- Close the curtains in rooms that get a lot of sun.
- Keep windows closed while the room is cooler than it is outside. Open them when the temperature inside rises and at night for ventilation. If you are worried about security, open windows on the first floor and above.
- Take cool showers or baths, and splash yourself several times a day with cold water, particularly your face and the back of your neck.
- Don’t fan yourself with your hands. The vigorous action uses a lot of energy and will raise your temperature.
- Eat chili. It’s probably the last thing you fancy on a hot day but it can help cool the body by making you sweat.
- Ditch the duvet and sleep under a sheet instead. You could even try putting your sheets in a plastic bag and leaving them in the fridge for a couple of hours before you go to bed.
- Use sunscreen lotion of factor 30 or above when you’re out and about.
- When travelling, always carry a bottle of water.
- Limit activities like housework and gardening to cooler times of the day.
- Wear loose, lightweight clothing.
- Drink lots of fluids and eat more cold foods such as salad and fruit which contain water.