You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
Walk your way to health this May
8 May 2018 09:00:00
May is National Walking Month. Walking really can help to give your heart the workout it needs to stay in good condition. Discover more reasons to walk.
Being active helps reduce your risk of developing a heart or circulatory condition, as well as having a stroke, developing type 2 diabetes, obesity and osteoporosis.
Dog walks are a great reason to get out and about
In addition to these amazing health benefits, here are a few more great reasons to get outside and walk:
- Feel more energetic
- Get a healthier body shape and appearance
- Control your weight
- Feel less stressed
- Increase your self-confidence
- Sleep more easily
- Enjoy your surroundings
- Meet people and make new friends through walking groups
- Save money
The organisers of National Walking Month have some top tips to encourage more walking:
- Get yourself a pedometer and aim to walk 10,000 steps a day. Start with one day a week, and build to 10k every day.
- Walk to the shops around the corner rather than driving, or get off the bus a stop or two early and walk the last 10 minutes to the office.
- Whether you’ve got a meeting at work or are going for a coffee with a friend, the beauty of talking is that you can do it while walking. Go for a stroll together instead of sitting still.
- Motivate yourself to walk more by putting your equivalent petrol money or bus fare in a piggy bank each time you walk. Watch those pennies add up and treat yourself at the end of the month for being so active.
Get the best footwear
Rain needn’t be a problem as our walking boots and shoes for men and women are 100% waterproof so your feet stay protected whatever the weather. Choose from Minnie and Moose for women and Stanley and Livingstone for men.
Wearing the right socks is just as important as wearing the right shoes. Our Active Wool Seam-free Sock is a superb sock for walking. Stretchy and cushioning for comfort, it’s also breathable, anti-bacterial, odour resistant and great at absorbing moisture.
Make walking more comfortable with a specialist insole. Our Shock-absorbing CosyCushion™ Insoles are made from a bouncy, cushioning material while our DuoSoft Plus Insoles are ideal if you have arthritis or very sensitive feet.
Do you have a favourite place to walk? Let us know where in the comments below!