Make Your Own Scotch Eggs
16 Jun 2017 09:45:00
Perfect for summer picnics, these tasty scotch eggs are easy to make and are guaranteed to impress your friends and family!
- 5 large eggs
- 300g good-quality pork sausage, skinned
- 1 tsp black peppercorn, crushed
- 140g cooked ham, shredded
- 25g sage, apple & onion stuffing mix
- 1 tsp chopped sage
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 100g plain flour, seasoned, plus extra for dusting
- 100g dried breadcrumb
- sunflower oil for frying
1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Lower 4 of the eggs into the pan and simmer for 7 mins 30 secs. Scoop out and place in a bowl of iced water, cracking the shells a little so they’re easier to peel later. Leave them to cool completely, then peel and set aside.
2. Put the sausage meat, pepper, ham, stuffing and herbs in a small bowl, mix to combine, then divide into 4 equal balls. Squash one of the balls between a piece of cling film until it’s as flat as possible. One at a time, lightly flour each cooked egg, then use the cling film to help roll the sausage meat around the egg to completely encase. Repeat with the remaining sausage balls and eggs.
3. Beat the remaining egg and put on a plate. Put the flour and breadcrumbs on 2 separate plates. Roll the encased eggs in the flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
4. To cook the eggs, heat 5cm of the oil in a wide saucepan or wok until it reaches 160C on a cooking thermometer or until a few breadcrumbs turn golden after 10 secs in the oil. Depending on the size of your pan, lower as many eggs as you can into the oil and cook for 8-10 mins until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool.
Do you have a favourite picnic recipe? We’d love to hear it! Send your recipe idea to email@example.com and we’ll share it on social media.
Click here to see our top tips for a successful picnic.
Click here to see our picnic-friendly products.
Posted in Cosyfeet Blog
, Cosy Creativity
By Daisy Nicholson-Lailey