You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
How to make your own sock fish craft
28 Aug 2018 09:00:00
Get crafty this season with our simple to follow guide, teaching you how to make your own fantastic sock fish craft.
1. For each fish, choose three types of sock - one for the head and fins, one for the body and one for the tail. The fins are optional!
2. Firstly, cut out the pattern on paper, for the head, fins, body and tail.
3. Cut the socks in half, open them out and lay the templates on the inside of the relevant sock. Draw round them and then cut two of each template per fish (one for each half of the fish's body).
4. Pin the head and tail to the body of each half of your fish, right sides together.
5. Next, sew across the join of the tail and the body and then the head to the body. Then trim off the excess.
6. Repeat this process with the other half of your fish so you end up with 2 pairs of halves consisting of a head, body and tail.
7. Then, lay both halves together, right sides facing, and pin together around the edges.
8. Starting from halfway down one side of the bodies, sew around the outline of the template on the sewing machine until you get to 2cm before where you started. You need to leave an opening to allow yourself to turn it inside out.
9. Next, turn your fish inside out and then use a pencil to pole out the nose and either ends of the tail.
10. For the fins, lay the template along the edge of the folded sock then draw around the edge.
11. Stitch around the white line, leaving the end of the find open so you can turn it inside out.
12. Trim the excess and turn it inside out.
13. To connect the pieces, go to the opening of the fish and stuff with wadding. Push it all the way down into the ends of the tail and the top of the head. If you want added weight you can always use lentils in the tail.
14. Stitch up the opening with a needle and thread, stitch the fins onto the outside as well.
15. Now, cut small circles out of felt and stitch on with a needle and thread for the eyes.
16. You have your finished sock fish! Sew them to some string and hang them in your home and be proud of your sock fish creation.