You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
3 Mar 2017 08:31:49
Painless swelling of the ankle and legs is a common problem, especially among older people. It’s the abnormal build-up of fluid that causes swollen legs and ankles but what can you do to relieve it?
Some top tips that could help reduce swelling:
• Put your legs on pillows to raise them above your heart while lying down.
• Exercise your legs. This helps pump fluid from your legs back to your heart.
• Follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid build-up and swelling.
• Wear support stockings.
• When traveling, take breaks often to stand up and move around.
• Avoid wearing tight clothing.
• Lose weight if you need to.
If your swelling doesn’t improve or worsens it’s important to contact your GP. They'll try and find out if there's an underlying cause which needs to be treated.