You have no items in your Shopping Basket.
Wherever Summer Takes You
9 Jul 2019 13:20:00
Summer is a wonderful time, especially when the UK gets some sun. It’s a great time of year to get out and about with family and friends.
British weather isn’t always on our side so when the sun starts shining, it is good to do our best to get out and about in it and enjoy what our country has to offer.
There are an array of annual events returning this season across the UK as well as some unique first time activities to enjoy with all the family.
Summer may take you to the beach, on a stroll, to parties, weddings, holidays and weekends away. Wherever summer takes you our summer footwear range may have a style perfect for you.
If you’re searching for inspiration, below are some events that are happening across the UK this summer that you may enjoy:
- The Glyndebourne Opera Festival runs between 18th May and 25th August and celebrates world class opera. Enjoy a performance in the indoor auditorium, picnic in the gardens or dine in the restaurants of this English country house in Lewes.
- Auckland Castle in County Durham, England are hosting Kynren, an open-air movie night spectacular that brings to life 2,000 years of Britain's history, from the Roman period to post-World War II. This event is held all summer between 29th June and 14th September.
- Formula 1 British Grand Prix in Silverstone, England 12th – 14th July. Perfect for those who love the thrill of a World Championship race.
- World Snail Racing Championship in Norfolk, England 20th July. Exactly what it says in the title, hundreds of snails are racing to win the title of snail racing champion. This event attracts crowds of people and local media interest.
- The Royal Welsh Show in Llanelwedd, Wales 22nd - 25th July. 4 days of celebrating British agriculture, activities include; forestry, horticulture, crafts, countryside sports and livestock competitions.
Edinburgh Art Festival in Scotland is held between 25th July – 25th August. 50 exhibitions present the works of over 300 artists along with workshops, talks and tours.
The BBC Proms are held at The Royal Albert Hall in London and host events from the middle of July to 14th September. Most well known for their extraordinary classic concerts which can send you on a musical journey, from Strauss to Queen to Swan Lake with a live orchestra.
From the22nd July to the end of September, Buckingham Palace in London opens its doors to the public for their Summer Opening Tours, it's your chance to visit the official residence of the Queen. 2019 marks 200 years since Queen Victoria's birth so a special exhibition will be on display while you explore the lavishly decorated rooms.
- Port Eliot Festival is on in Cornwall the weekend of 25th - 28th July. Held in and around the grounds of the Earl of St Germans Cornish estate. You can take up the option of a 3 course meal on arrival and take part in a variety of wonderful events throughout the weekend; swimming in the lake, outdoor yoga, listening to inspiring creative speakers, join workshops and enjoy live music.
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival combines theatre, music and comedy to create one of the best festivals of Scotland, held between 2nd – 26th August and featuring over 50,000 performances all over the city.
- Castle Howard Proms in York is a spectacular outdoor classical concert held on 3rd August. Guest soloists will be joined on stage with London Gala Orchestra where they'll cover musicals and classic numbers. The night finishes with an impressive firework display.
- On the 4th August this year, Indian circus supergroup Circus Raj are bringing their magical talents to Mac Arts Centre in Birmingham. Their performance will be vibrant, entertaining and fast-moving. It'll be fun for all the family!
- Bristol International Balloon Fiesta is Europe's largest annual meeting of hot air balloons in Ashton Court Estate in Bristol, between 8th – 11th August. The four days of free family fun truly are a sight. This year you may even spot a hot air balloon shaped like Darth Vader!
- There's nothing quite like Cowes Week; the oldest and largest annual sailing regatta in the world. Held 10th – 17th August off the shore of Cowes in the Isle of Wight. Now over 1,000 boats and 8,500 competitors enter this glamorous 'summer season' event.
- Portsmouth Kite Festival is held on Southsea Common on the 10th – 11th August. It is a stunning and colourful demonstration of the art of kite flying and kite making in the sky and on the ground for visitors to enjoy.
- On the evening of 16th August in Morden Park in London, The Lord Chamberlain's Men invite you to their open air theatre performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Bring a picnic and settle down amongst the roses and enjoy an enchanting evening of Shakespeare comedy.
- Experience the UK's biggest Air Festival in Bournemouth from 29th August – 1st September. There will be wing walkers, historic aircraft to see and a performance of incredible formation and aerobatic flying from the RAF’s Red Arrows.
Another popular event to attend during summer is an outdoor cinema experience commonly hosted in large parks or gardens. The National Trust have a huge range of outdoor cinema events all over the UK this summer where you can watch films such as Mamma Mia, Jurassic Park, Pretty Woman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Grease, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and more. Take a blanket and a picnic then sit back, relax and enjoy a good film on a lovely summer evening.
With all these exciting events to attend, it's important you think of what will be taking you there - your feet! Wearing the correct footwear is essential to keep you comfy all day long. Our wide fit shoes are specially designed for all day comfort.
If you're travelling to any events this summer our Anti-DVT Travel Socks help to maintain regular blood flow while travelling and reduce the risk of DVT on coach and car journeys.
If you just need a little helping hand to get out and about, our Walking & Exercise collection is packed with products designed to make walking easier and more enjoyable.
Wherever summer takes you, we hope you have a wonderful time!