Give your feet some special attention this Valentine’s Day
It’s easy to overlook our feet but it’s important that we care for them if we want to stay healthy and active. Investing a bit of time into looking after your feet can help keep them free from pain and infections.
Top ten tips for caring for your feet...
- 1. Always wash your feet with soap and water before you go to bed. If you leave dirt on the skin’s surface, it can become irritated and infected.
- 2. Ensure you dry your feet thoroughly after washing them and apply a moisturising foot cream.
- 3. Gently remove hard skin and calluses with a pumice stone or foot file on a regular basis.
- 4. Always trim your toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails.
- 5. Shop for shoes in the afternoon to ensure a comfy fit as feet tend to swell as the day goes on.
- 6. If you have to wear heels at work, try wearing comfortable shoes to and from the office.
- 7. If you can, only wear heels and pointed shoes for special occasions and always wear the right shoes for the job.
- 8. Change your socks every day.
- 9. Wear flip-flops in public areas, such as swimming pools, to avoid catching athlete’s foot and verrucas.
- 10. But don't wear flip-flops all the time as they don't provide support for your feet and can give you arch pain.
Based on advice from the NHS