Top 10 tips for a healthy back
Back pain is very common. In fact it’s estimated that 80% of adults will experience it at some point in their life. These simple measures can help your back stay healthy and reduce the chances of developing pain.
- 1. Exercise your back regularly. Walking, swimming and exercise bikes are all excellent ways to strengthen your back muscles.
- 2. Always bend your knees and your hips, not your back.
- 3. Never twist and bend at the same time.
- 4. Always lift and carry objects close to your body.
- 5. Try to carry larger loads in a rucksack and avoid sling bags.
- 6. Maintain a good posture. Avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk or walking with your shoulders hunched.
- 7. Use a chair with a backrest. Sit with your feet flat on the floor or on a footrest. Change how you sit every few minutes.
- 8. Stop smoking. It’s thought that smoking reduces the blood supply to the discs between the vertebrae and this may lead to degeneration of these discs.
- 9. Lose any excess weight.
- 10. Choose a mattress suited to your height, weight and sleeping position.
(Based on information from the NHS website)