Look after your back
From 6th – 12th October it’s Back Care Awareness Week. Organised by the charity BackCare, the aim of the week is to raise the awareness of good back care.
Based on advice from the NHS, these are our top ten tips for a healthy back:
- 1. Exercise your back regularly. Walking and swimming are both good ways to strengthen your back muscles.
- 2. Make sure you always bend your knees and hips, not your back.
- 3. Never twist and bend at the same time.
- 4. Always lift and carry objects close to your body.
- 5. Try to carry larger loads in a rucksack and avoid sling bags. Try using a back-friendly bag such as a Healthy Back Bag. They’re designed to minimise stress on your back, neck and shoulders so you can carry your belongings safely and comfortably.
- 6. Maintain a good posture. Avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk or walking with your shoulders hunched.
- 7. Use a chair with a backrest. Sit with your feet flat on the floor or on a footrest. Change how you sit every few minutes.
- 8. Stop smoking. It's thought that smoking reduces the blood supply to the discs between the vertebrae which may lead to these discs degenerating.
- 9. Lose any excess weight.
- 10. Choose a mattress suited to your height, weight, age and sleeping position.
To tie-in with Back Care Awareness Week, we’re offering 10% off any products from our Back Comfort range when you spend over £15. Simply add the item/s you want to your basket and enter the code WDBC10 when prompted. This offer expires at 11.59pm on Tuesday 14th October 2014.