A foot massage is a great present to give a loved one. Not only does it feel good but it helps to relieve stress, boost circulation and relax the rest of the body.
- 1. Start by soaking feet in warm water for about 5 to 10 minutes to clean them and then dry with a warm towel.
- 2. Gently rub massage oil or lotion over the entire foot to just above the ankle.
- 3. Hold the bottom of the foot with both hands. Begin by rubbing the top of the foot, slowly working your way down to the sole of the foot. Apply more pressure as you get closer to the sole. Reverse directions and rub the foot moving slowly towards the top, reducing pressure as you go.
- 4. Rub the heel of the foot using your thumbs. Make small circles with medium pressure and work your way around the entire heel. Repeat this action on the ball of the foot.
- 5. Massage around the ankle bone using both hands. Rub in a circular motion around the bone on either side and gently rub your fingers over the top of the bone.
- 6. Massage each toe individually. Start by gently pulling on each toe. Then slide your index finger in the gap between each toe. Spend time moving it back and forth, rubbing the base of each toe with your index and thumb.
We would recommend checking with a health care professional before giving someone with diabetes a foot massage.