The aim of National Baking Week is to encourage Britain to get baking! We’ve been looking at some of the delicious recipes on www.nationalbakingweek.co.uk and found this tasty sounding one that particularly appealed to us Somersetians!
Somerset Cider Cake
Preparation time: 30 Mins
Cooking time: 60 - 90 Mins
- 4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs (not straight from the fridge but at room temperature)
- 2 cups plain flour
- half a nutmeg grated
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 8 fluid oz dry cider
1. In a large basin cream the sugar and butter together using a wooden spoon until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy in texture.
2. Break the eggs into a separate basin and beat them.
3. Beat the eggs into the sugar and butter. Mix.
4. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and nutmeg together and fold into the butter and sugar mix.
5. Slowly stir in the cider.
6. Bake in a well greased 7 inch tin at 190°C for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
If you’ve got any recepies you’d like to share with our customers we’d love to hear from you!