Being healthier doesn't have to mean overhauling your entire lifestyle. Sometimes all it takes is a few simple changes.
Ten simple things to help you stay healthy:
1. Make sure you drink enough. Experts recommend that we drink the equivalent of 8 medium-size glasses of water a day. Contrary to some advice tea, coffee and soft drinks count but make sure you’re aware of hidden sugars.
2. Eat regularly. This helps keep energy levels at a constant and can even help prevent you from gaining weight.
3. Don’t forget to floss! Removing pieces of food and plaque from between your teeth can help prevent gum disease.
4. Get moving. You should aim for at least 2-3 hours of exercise a week. Swimming, Yoga, Pilates and walking are particularly beneficial as they build muscle and bone density which is important as you get older.
5. Keep your mind active. Activities such as reading, writing, crosswords and Sudoku can all help delay memory loss.
6. Don’t forget your feet. Without comfortable feet, it’s difficult to lead an active life. Make sure you buy footwear that fits properly and gives you enough stability and shock-absorption.
7. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamin D. This is critical for bone health. Rather than just relying on the sun, try taking a supplement.
8. Have regular check-ups. Try and have your eyes tested at least every two years to allow ophthalmologists to diagnose and treat conditions early.
9. Get involved. Research shows that having a hobby you can share with others is good for your happiness levels which in turn is good for your overall health.
10. Sleep well. Don’t underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. If you have trouble sleeping, try establishing a bedtime routine such as a warm bath followed by a milky drink.