Joan was able to achieve this by walking up a steep hill four times a day for six weeks, clocking up an amazing 17 miles. We were delighted to learn that Joan wore Cosyfeet shoes to complete her fundraising hike.
Joan wearing her ‘Minnie’ walking shoes from Cosyfeet
Inspired by Captain Sir Tom Moore’s wonderful fundraising work for the NHS during lockdown, Joan chose to support the British Heart Foundation with her strenuous walking regime due to her life-saving heart operation. Joan hoped that the operation would give her another two years of life. That was 22 years ago, and Joan is still enjoying an active life. She expected to raise in the region of £500 with her walking initiative and is overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of the many people who have donated to the staggering current total, which is still rising.
We made contact with Joan at her care home and asked her for her top tips for living a long and healthy life. Here’s what she said:
- Move it or lose it! Do your best to keep active to maintain mobility and strength.
- Walk outside every day and pay attention to all the beauty in the world.
- Take an interest in what’s going on around you. It helps you retain perspective.
- Remember all the good in the world. There is so much that is good.
- Be kind and notice all the people quietly doing their best for others.
- Adopt a ‘can do’ attitude and live to the full.
“We at Cosyfeet are truly inspired by Joan’s achievement,” says Managing Director, Andrew Peirce. “It is our pleasure and privilege to make a donation via her Just Giving page and gift her a new pair of Cosyfeet Minnie walking shoes for her daily walk.”
If you are interested in donating to the British Heart Foundation via Joan’s Just Giving Page visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/joansdailyhike.